Colonel Daniel E. Gabrielli is the Commander of the 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn. He leads more than 1,200 Airmen assigned to the wing, including the 133rd Operations Group which includes the 109th Airlift Squadron, the 133rd Maintenance Group, 133rd Medical Group, and the 133rd Mission Support Group. In addition, the wing provides support to the 210th Engineering Installation Squadron and 208th Weather Flight. Col Gabrielli oversees the organizing, equipping, and training of personnel for worldwide deployments to provide necessary capability to combatant commanders and the State of Minnesota.
Colonel Gabrielli graduated from Mankato State University in 1986. While an undergraduate, he served a semester long internship in the British Parliament as a Research Assistant to a Member of the House of Commons while attending classes at the University of London. He was commissioned through Officer Training School and attended Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1989. While on active duty, he served in numerous operational flying roles culminating as a C-5 Aircraft Commander. Colonel Gabrielli joined the Minnesota Air National Guard in 1998 and deployed multiple times in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, SHINING HOPE, JOINT FORGE, JOINT ENTERPRISE, and CORONET OAK. In 2012, he served as Deputy Commander for the 386th Expeditionary Operations Group at Ali Al Salem Air Base in Kuwait. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Gabrielli served as the Deputy Director for Air, Space and Cyber Operations for the Air National Guard, where he assisted the Director in advising the Director, Air National Guard on operational matters. He also assisted as the Air National Guard liaison with congressional staff, DOD agencies, other major command offices, and operational field units concerning management and policy matters pertaining to Air, Space, Cyber Operations, and Command and Control programs and activities.
1986 Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Mankato State University, Mankato, Minn.
1989 Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1995 Squadron Officer School in residence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master of Education in International Relations, Northwestern Oklahoma State University, Okla.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, by correspondence
2012 Air War College, Air University, by correspondence
2015 Director of Mobility Forces Course
2015 George Washington University Senior Manager Course in National Security Leadership
1. 1989 – 1990, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Chandler, Ariz.
2. 1990 – 1992, T-37 Instructor Pilot, 98th Flying Training Squadron, Williams AFB, Chandler, Ariz.
3. 1992 – 1995, T-37 Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander, Chief of Squadron Standards and
Evaluations, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Enid, Okla.
4. 1995 – 1998, C-5 Aircraft Commander, Chief Squadron Scheduler, Assistant Flight Commander, Command Post Duty Officer, 9th Airlift Squadron, Dover AFB, Dover, Del.
5. 1998 – 2009, C-130 Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, Command Post Controller, Flight Commander, 109th Airlift Squadron, 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
6. 2009, Chief Pilot, 109th Airlift Squadron, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
7. 2009 – 2010, Chief of Training, 109th Airlift Squadron, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
8. 2010 – 2011, Acting Vice Wing Commander, 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
9. 2011, Director of Operations, 109th Airlift Squadron, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
10. 2011 – 2012, Commander, 133rd Operations Support Flight, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
11. 2012, Deputy Group Commander, 386th Expeditionary Operations Group, Ali Al Salem Air Base, Kuwait
12. 2012 – 2013, Deputy Commander, 133rd Operations Group, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
13. 2013 – 2014, Commander, 133rd Operations Group, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
14. 2014 – 2016, Deputy Director for Air, Space and Cyber Operations, National Guard Bureau, Andrews AFB, Md.
15. 2016 – Present, Commander, 133rd Airlift Wing, Minnesota Air National Guard, St. Paul, Minn.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 5,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-5, C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and six oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one bronze star
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service with five oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' Devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 4, 1989
First Lieutenant May 4, 1991
Captain May 4, 1993
Major May 4, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel May 4, 2007
Colonel Jun 20, 2013
(Current as of March 2017)